Ref: YMCLB – 0002
Role & Responsibilities:
Perform a variety of venipuncture techniques involved in the collection of blood specimens from patients for laboratory procedures used in the diagnosis and treatment of disease, also collects blood samples and instruct patients in collection of urine/stool/sputum for use in diagnosis and treatment of diseases and performs related duties following established standards and practices.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, accreditation requirements, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Perform a variety of routine blood drawing procedures to include venipuncture, techniques using standard equipment to include vacutainer tubes and sleeves, tourniquets, syringes and butterfly needles.
- Collects blood specimens in appropriate tube for analysis and labels them appropriately.
- Confer with patient to obtain information for laboratory records, explain procedures, allay fears and elicit cooperation.
- Utilize standard procedures for the maintenance of positive patient identification; record appropriate collection information on proper requisitions.
- Prepare, process, label and store patient specimens and samples according to departmental procedures using standard techniques and equipment, for subsequent analysis by clinical laboratory staff.
- Maintain inventory of supplies; reorder as required; stock supplies on carts and hand trays.
- Instructs the patients for appropriate collection of blood, urine, stool and sputum specimens including special instructions in cases needing fasting, 24-hour collections, etc.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
Minimum Requirements: 3 years as Laboratory Assistant/Phlebotomist of which at least 1 year in hospital setting
Required Certification: Preference Valid MOH License and registration.
Special Skills: Proficiency in collecting blood samples from adults, children and
neonates. Good in communication